According to the National Protection Association Association Standard 211 says, "Chimneys, fireplaces, and vents shall be inspected at least once a year for soundness, freedom of deposits, and correct clearances. Cleaning, maintenance, and repairs shall be done if necessary." Having your chimney inspected is essential to the life of your chimney.
Common signs of your chimney needs inspecting:
- Use as a wood burning fireplace
- Use of vented or vent free gas logs
- Does not draft well.
- Creosote smell
- Smoke leakage or infiltration to areas outside of chimney containment
- Visible creosote buildup in fireplace, smoke chamber, flue, or exterior of chminey
- Signs of water intrusion or water damage to fireplace, smoke chamber, flue, or exterior of chimney